- Why I have pictures of food in my phone
- Being childless and husbandless
- Not living with my parents (which is where Kenyan singles live)
- Being an only child - polygamy is the norm, as are large families
- My career in sports marketing
With that being said, I tried.
They couldn't fathom that I was the age of their parents (sometimes even older) but hadn't done the things considered standard in their culture like get married, have children and build my own dung hut. I let them know that in the United States, there are many paths one can take. I assured them that I lead a very full, happy life. They seemed satisfied with my answer, for the most part.
I tried to tell them about my career by putting it in the context of FIFA, which somehow they love in spite of having no television or internet access.
"You know how sometimes you see footballers like Messi on a billboard or a soda can? That's what I do."
"You know Messi?!!"
"No, but people who are famous in my country."
For all I know, they may think I hang the billboards. But at least I tried!